Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Standard DL Required Docs

​You must present proper identification that verifies your first, middle, and last name, and your date of birth to take the knowledge and road tests. You must also present proper identification when you apply for an instruction permit, driver’s license, or state identification card.

To apply for a Minnesota driver’s license, identification card, or instruction permit, you must present one of the following:
  • A current Minnesota driver’s license, identification card, or instruction permit.
  • A Minnesota driver’s license, identification card, or instruction permit which displays your photograph and has been expired for five years or less.
  • A Minnesota driver’s license, identification card, or instruction permit which does not display your photograph that is current or expired for one year or less.
If the name on your Minnesota driver’s license, identification card or instruction permit has changed, or the names on your primary and secondary documents do not match, you must also present proof of your legal name change(s). Acceptable proof consists of certified marriage certificates, certified divorce decrees or other certified court orders. Divorce decrees or other court orders must specify the name change. Your identity and name change documents need to show a clear link between your primary and secondary documents. The name on the Minnesota driver’s license, identification card or instruction permit that is issued to you will be the name on the primary document or legal name change document. 

If you cannot provide one of these documents, you must present one primary and one secondary identification document. The primary document must include your full name and the month, day, and year of your birth. Documents not in English must be accompanied by a qualified English translation. Documents are subject to verification and may not be accepted if laminated or otherwise altered. Photocopies of ​primary and secondary documents are not acceptable. Fraudulent documents may be confiscated.

If you are a temporary U.S. resident you may need to show additional proof of your lawful admission period, such as form I-20, DS-2019, I-797 or other official immigration document or receipt.

Primary documents:

  • Certified birth record issued by a government bureau of vital statistics or board of health in the United States, District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands. A hospital-issued certificate is not acceptable.
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-545 or DS-1350).
  • Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen issued by a U.S. Embassy (FS-240).
  • Certified adoption certificate from a U.S. court.
  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport book or card.
  • Unexpired active duty, reserve, or retired U.S. military identification card (DD-2 or Geneva Convention Common Access Card).
  • Secure unexpired Minnesota tribal identification card.
  • Valid, unexpired passport from a country other than the United States, with an unexpired I-551 stamp or an unexpired I-94 arrival and departure form.
  • Canadian birth certificate or naturalization certificate with a valid I-94 form attached. (Certificate must be presented with a photo secondary document issued by a Canadian government agency.)
  • One of the following valid, unexpired documents issued by the U.S. Department of Justice or U.S. Department of Homeland Security:
    • Employment Authorization Card with photo (I-688 or I-766 series)
    • Permanent Resident or Resident Alien Card (I-551 or I-151)
    • Re-entry Permit/Refugee Travel Document (I-327, I-571)
    • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, or N-578)
    • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645)
    • U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)
    • Northern Mariana Card (I-873)
    • American Indian Card (I-872)

Secondary documents:

  • Another primary document.
  • Photo driver’s license, state identification card, or permit issued by another U.S. state, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, or a Canadian province or territory, that is current
  • or expired for five years or less.
  • U.S. Social Security card (non-metal) or Canadian Social Insurance card.
  • Certified birth certificate from a government jurisdiction other than the United States, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • Certified, government-issued marriage certificate.
  • Certified U.S. or Canadian court order including your full name and date of birth.
  • Certified secondary or post-secondary school transcript containing your full legal name and date of birth.
  • Current secondary school (grades 7–12) student I.D. card with name, photograph, and date of birth or unique identification number (identification card must have the academic/school year or issue date
  • printed on the card).
  • Government employee photo identification card from a jurisdiction in the United States or Canada.
  • Current identification card issued by the U.S. Department of Defense (DD-1173 or DD-214).
  • Unexpired, color-photo permit to carry a firearm or concealed weapon, issued by a U.S. police department or sheriff.
  • Current pilot’s license issued by the Federal Aviation Administration.​

Verification of Name Change

If you legally change your name through marriage, divorce, or a court order, you must show proof of the change. You must present a certified marriage certificate, a certified court order specifying the name change, or a certified divorce decree or dissolution of marriage certificate specifying the name change. If you have had a series of name changes, you must provide documentation of all of those changes.

Translation of Documents

All documents presented in a language other than English must be accompanied by an English translation. The English translation must be accompanied by a certificate documenting that the translation is true and
accurate. The Certificate of Translation and Translator Qualifications form is available here​, driver examination stations and at driver’s license offices. 

The translator must not be related to you by blood or marriage and must meet one of the following criteria:
  • Accredited by the American Translators Association.
  • Recognized by the Minnesota Translation Laboratory.
  • Certified by a court of competent jurisdiction.
  • Approved by an embassy or consulate of the United States, or diplomatic or consular official of a foreign country that is assigned or accredited to the United States.
  • Affiliated with or approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services or a government jurisdiction within the United States.
  • A vendor listed to provide translation service for the state of Minnesota.
  • An attorney licensed to practice in the United States, or affiliated with that attorney.

Social Security Number

Applicants for Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services cards are required to provide their Social Security number (SSN) on the application form. Applicants who have not been issued a SSN must certify that information on the form. Your Social Security number is private information that will be secure on the driver’s license information system and accessible only to those lawfully authorized to access it. Social Security numbers are not located on, or embedded in, driver’s licenses or identification cards.​