Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information


What You Need to Know

  1. Application - The person applying for the refund must complete section A of the Claim for Motor Vehicle Refund (PS2511) unless otherwise specified.

  2. Filing Fee - A filing fee cannot be charged for a refund claim. Reference: M.S. 168.33, subd. 7

  3. Refund Release - When the refund applicant is not the person who paid the tax, the person who paid the tax must sign a statement authorizing payment of the refund to the applicant. This statement must be submitted with the refund claim.

  4. Time Limit - A refund due to the cancellation of a vehicle sale must be filed with 90 days of the original date-of-sale. All other claims for refund must be filed within three and a half years from the date of payment of taxes. Reference: M.S. 168A.101 and M.S. 289A.40

  5. The following fees are not refundable:

    • Duplicate plate and/or sticker fees.

    • Filing fee.

    • Registration tax for a worn out, stolen, vandalized, donated, or repossessed vehicle.

    • Registration tax for a vehicle that is removed from the state.

    • Registration tax, when the sale of the vehicle has been cancelled .

    • Registration tax, when the vehicle owner elects to convert registration to one of the collector classes.

    • Registration tax that is unused. The non-use refund was essentially eliminated in 2005. Currently, the vehicle owner must surrender the registration stickers before the beginning of the registration period to be eligible for a refund. For example: in order to refund registration that expires on June 30, 2007, the owner must apply for the refund and surrender the registration stickers before July 1, 2006. Reference: M.S. 168.15, 168.16, and 168.31