Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Non-Use Refund for Military Personnel

Reference: Minn. Stat. § 168.032

A Minnesota resident entering the armed forces during wartime or declared emergency, who places his or her vehicle in storage, may apply for a refund of any unused registration tax . The license plates and registration card must be surrendered.

  • The deputy registrar must complete a returned plate form (PS2842) or note the return of the license plates on the Claim for Motor Vehicle Refund (PS2511).

  • Owner must complete Section A of the PS2511.

  • Owner must submit proof of military service.