Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Permanently Destroyed

A registration tax refund may be issued when the vehicle has been permanently destroyed by accident, fire, tornado, or flood. The refund is prorated from the date we receive the application.

  1. Applicant must complete and sign section A of the Claim for Motor Vehicle Refund (PS2511).
  2. Applicant must mark the appropriate box in section B of the PS2511.
  3. The current plates and registration stickers must be surrendered.
  4. The vehicle title must be surrendered. If the title was assigned and surrendered to an insurance company, a refund is not due. The vehicle registration follows the vehicle ownership. Reference: Minnesota Statutes, 168.15.
  5. Deputy registrar must complete section E of the PS2511.