Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Registration in Error

A registration refund may be issued when the previous owner purchases registration after the vehicle was sold.

  1. Applicant must complete and sign section A of the Claim for Motor Vehicle Refund (PS2511).
  2. Applicant must mark the appropriate box in section B of the PS2511. S/he must provide the date of sale, purchaser's name and address, and proof of sale such as a purchase agreement or bill-of-sale. If proof of the sale is not submitted, the department may need to contact the new owner to verify the sale date.
  3. The registration stickers purchased in error must be surrendered. If the stickers have been used, the applicant must provide the license plate number of the vehicle that the stickers were used on and proof that that vehicle is currently registered.
  4. Deputy registrar must complete section E of the PS2511.