Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Transfer to Government Agency

Registration tax may be refunded when a vehicle is sold to the federal or state government or a political subdivision. The refund is prorated from the date-of-sale.

Reference: Minnesota Statutes, 168.16

  1. Applicant must complete and sign section A of the Claim for Motor Vehicle Refund (PS2511).

  2. Applicant must provide a written explanation in section D of the PS2511.

  3. Applicant must submit proof of sale to the government agency.

  4. Deputy registrar must complete section E of the PS2511 and indicate whether the plates/stickers were returned. Returned stickers should be adhered to the front of the PS2511. A PS2842 is not required.