Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Vehicle Sold, Junked or Removed from State

 Registration tax may be refunded when the registration was purchased and the vehicle was subsequently sold, junked or removed from the state before the start of the new registration period. The application must be submitted before the new registration period begins.
  1. Applicant must complete and sign section A of the Claim for Motor Vehicle Refund (PS2511).
  2. Applicant must mark the appropriate box in section B of the PS2511.
  3. Applicant must provide a written explanation in section D of the PS2511.
  4. The applicant must provide proof that the vehicle was sold, junked, or removed from the state (such as a bill of sale) before the beginning of the registration period. If proof of sale is not submitted, the department may need to contact the new owner to verify the date the vehicle was junked or sold.
  5. The applicant must surrender the unused registration stickers.
  6. Deputy registrar must complete section E of the PS2511 and indicate that the plates/stickers were returned unused. A PS2842 is not required.