Concrete pumpers and truck-mounted street sweepers are registered at 15 percent of the annual base registration tax effective March 1, 2009.
Registration Period: March 1 through February 28 (29 in leap years) of the following year.
- Determine tax using the Tax Manual based upon vehicle gross weight. (Minimum gross weight allowed is 1.25 times the vehicle empty weight.) If registration period is less than 12 months, use increment section located at the back of the Tax Manual to prorate annual tax.
Record the empty (unloaded) in Section A of the PS2000
- New trucks - Calculate tax from date of sale to the end of registration period.
- New to Fleet/Previously Registered in Foreign State - Calculate tax from the date the vehicle entered Minnesota to the end of the registration period.
Record the axle declaration ( 5 or 6 ) if gross weight is 73,280 pounds or more in Section A of PS2000. In order to get the 6-axle tax rate, a vehicle must always be operated on 6 or more axles. If the vehicle operates at variable axles (5 or 6) then the 5-axle tax applies.
Record USDOT number in Section A of the PS2000 if vehicle is used for commercial purposes
HVUT (Applies to vehicles with GVW of 55,000 pounds or more.) Proof of HVUT is not required upon the transfer of a manufacturer’s certificate of origin or a foreign state title to a Minnesota buyer. Proof of HVUT is not required when an owner increases the gross weight to 55,000 lbs. gross weight or more. It is not required if the vehicle was purchased within the last four (4) months, nor if the vehicle has not been used for two (2) or more registration years. Inform the customer that proof of HVUT is required at the time of next renewal. Record if you have viewed proof of payment HVUT if required.
Issue Y-15% base plates and appropriate weight and year validation stickers.
Provide customer with the validated owner's copy of the PS2000. It is a temporary cab card until the application is processed by DVS.
For information about ownership/application requirements and fees refer to Ownership Procedures, Quick Reference Guide: How to Complete PS2000 and Quick Reference Guide: Motor Vehicle Fees.
- Renewal notices are mailed to the owner of record in late December.
- Registration may be renewed when deputies have the proper year validation stickers in stock.
- Proof of payment of heavy vehicle use tax (HVUT) is required to renew the registration of any truck with a registered gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. See HVUT to determine what is acceptable proof of payment.
- A customer must verify the USDOT number printed on the face of the renewal notice. If the number is incorrect or has changed, the check box on the front of the renewal notice should be checked and the correct information provided on the back of the notice where indicted.
- Owner must make axle declaration if the vehicle is registered at 73,281 pounds or more. To qualify for reduced tax rate, the vehicle must be used at 6 axles or more for the entire registration period.
- Issue appropriate year validation sticker and new weight sticker if the vehicle weight was changed at time of renewal.
- Validate the top portion of the renewal notice. This is the customer's cab card.
- Sticker Display:
- Trucks registered at 27,000 pounds gross weight or less may begin to display new registration stickers on January 1.
- Trucks with a gross weight greater than 27,000 pounds gross weight may begin to display new registration stickers on February 15.
- All vehicles are required to display new registration stickers by 12:01 a.m. March 2. (There is no 10-day grace period for vehicles in this class)
- There is no penalty for delayed or late registration; however, the vehicle cannot be operated on the streets or highways with expired registration.
- To determine tax for 6 or more axles, calculate 15 percent of the tax for a 6 axle vehicle in the Y Class.
Example: 2006 Mack concrete pumper, operated at 6 axles or more, 96,000 pounds gross weight.
- 1. Determine tax in Y class for a 6 axle vehicle at 96,000 pounds ($2,020)
- 2. Calculate 15 percent of $2,020 ($303)
- 3. Collect $303 and on the application indicate 15% next to the registration tax.
- Variable axle vehicles (used at 5 and 6 axles throughout the tax year) must register as a 5-axle vehicle.