Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information


Heavy Vehicle Use Tax

Proof of payment of heavy vehicle use tax (HVUT) is required with the registration of any truck with a gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. Deputy Registrars must write "Viewed Proof of HVUT" on the renewal notice or PS2000.

 Acceptable proof is:

  • A copy of the IRS form 2290 stamped received by the IRS
  • A copy of the IRS 2290 form with a copy of the front and back of the cancelled check
  • A copy of the documents received in the PDF file when HVUT is filed online. The IRS will indicate on the 2290, E-File with the received date.

Proof of HVUT is not required upon the transfer of a manufacturer’s certificate of origin or a foreign state title to a Minnesota buyer. Inform the customer that proof of HVUT is required at the time of next renewal.

Proof of HVUT is required for new residents applying for Minnesota title/registration with a foreign state title (no transfer).

If a vehicle has not been used for two (2) or more registration years, proof of HVUT is not required. Write "NO HVUT" on title or PS2000.