Farm Class

Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information


Applies to gross weight vehicles (trucks and truck-tractors) and trailers, including semi trailers, if:
  • The vehicle is used exclusively by the owner to transport the owner's agricultural, horticultural, dairy and other farm products, including livestock, from the farm to market and to transport property and supplies to the owner's farm.
  • The vehicle is occasionally used to transport unprocessed and raw farm products, not produced by the owner of the truck, from the place of production to market, when the transportation constitutes the first haul of products.
  • The vehicle is used by the farmer or logger who harvests and hauls forest products only, to transport logs, pulpwood, lumber, chips, railroad ties and other raw and unfinished forest products from the place of production to an intermediate or final assembly point or transfer yard or railhead.
    • Transportation may be continued by another farm truck to a place for final processing or manufacture located within 200 miles of the place of production and still constitute as the first haul of unfinished wood product.
    • The owner and operator of a vehicle transporting planed lumber must have in possession a signed statement by the lumber producer designating the governmental subdivision, section and township where the lumber was produced -- and that this haul, indicating the date, is the first thereof.
    • Owner may use the vehicle to transport to and from timber harvesting areas, equipment and appurtenances incidental to timber harvesting, and gravel and other road-building materials for timber haul roads.
  • The vehicle is a single-unit truck, that because of its construction, cannot be used for any other purpose and is used exclusively to transport milk and cream en route from a farm to an assembly point or place of final manufacture, and for transporting milk and cream from an assembly point to a place for final processing or manufacture. This section shall not be construed to mean that the owner or operator of the truck cannot carry on usual accommodation services for patrons on regular return trips, such as butter, cream, cheese, and other dairy supplies. (Single unit truck may pull a pup type trailer.)
Fertilizer Trucks - If the vehicle is owned by a farmer and used for his/her own use, it may display farm class registration. However, in certain situations the vehicle is exempt from registration. See VEHICLES
Trailers Less than 10, 000 pounds Gross Weight - Farm trailers with a gross weight of less than 10,000 pounds, drawn by a passenger vehicle or farm truck and used exclusively for transporting agricultural products from farm to farm, and to and from the usual market place of the owner, are exempt from registration. They do not need to display a license plate.
Initial Registration
  1. Determine tax using the Tax Manual based upon vehicle gross weight. (Minimum gross weight allowed is 1.25 times the vehicle empty weight.) If registration period is less than 12 months, use the increment section located at the back of the Tax Manual to prorate annual tax.termine tax using the Tax Manual based upon vehicle gross weight. (Minimum gross weight allowed is 1.25 times the vehicle empty weight.) If registration period is less than 12 months, use the increment section located at the back of the Tax Manual to prorate annual tax.
    • New trucks - Calculate tax from date of sale to the end of registration period (or quarter).
    • New to Fleet/Previously Registered in Foreign State - Calculate tax from the date the vehicle entered Minnesota to the end of the registration period (or quarter).
  2. Record the empty (unloaded) in Section A of the PS2000
  3. Record the axle declaration ( 5 or 6 ) if gross weight is 73,280 pounds or more in Section A of PS2000. In order to get the 6-axle tax rate, a vehicle must always be operated on 6 or more axles. If the vehicle operates at variable axles (5 or 6) then the 5-axle tax applies.
  4. Record USDOT number if required in Section A of the PS2000 if vehicle is used for commercial purposes. A USDOT number is required for vehicles with farm registration if the vehicle crosses the state line or delivers produce to a river port. Otherwise, vehicles in the farm class are exempt
  5. HVUT (Applies to vehicles with GVW of 55,000 pounds or more.) Proof of HVUT is not required upon the transfer of a manufacturer’s certificate of origin or a foreign state title to a Minnesota buyer. Inform the customer that proof of HVUT is required at the time of next renewal. Record if you have viewed proof of payment HVUT if required.
  6. Issue T plates, and appropriate weight, quarter and year validation stickers.
  7. Provide customer with the validated owner's copy of the PS2000. It is a temporary cab card until the application is processed by DVS.
For information about ownership/application requirements and fees refer to Ownership Procedures, Quick Reference Guide: How to Complete PS2000 and Quick Reference Guide: Motor Vehicle Fees.
Registration Renewal
  1. Renewal notices are mailed to the owner of record in late December. Farm renewal notices do not have the amount of annual registration tax printed on them. This is because these vehicles have the option of quarterly registration.
  2. Proof of payment of heavy vehicle use tax (HVUT) is required to renew the registration of any truck with a registered gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. See HVUT to determine what is acceptable proof of payment.
  3. Owner must make axle declaration if the vehicle is registered at 73,281 pounds or more. To qualify for reduced tax rate, the vehicle must be used at 6 axles or more for the entire registration period.
  4. Change of Weight at time of renewal - be sure to correct the renewal notice to reflect the correct gross weight and registration tax.
  5. Issue appropriate year validation sticker, new weight sticker if the vehicle weight was changed, and appropriate quarter sticker if needed.
  6. Validate the top portion of the renewal notice. This is the customer's cab card.
  7. Sticker Display:
    • Trucks registered at 27,000 pounds gross weight or less may begin to display new registration stickers on January 1.
    • Trucks with a gross weight greater than 27,000 pounds gross weight may begin to display new registration stickers on February 15.
    • All vehicles are required to display new registration stickers by 12:01 a.m. March 2. (There is no 10-day grace period for vehicles in the T class)
  8. There is no penalty for delayed or late registration; however, the vehicle cannot be operated on the streets or highways with expired registration.
  9. Low/High Registration - owners may delay renewing registration when a vehicle is not in use during the first months of the year. In this situation, the owner may register the vehicle at minimum weight (1.25 times empty weight) for the months the vehicle was not in use and register at the operating weight for the reminder of the year. Farm vehicles may claim non -use for an entire quarter if the vehicle was not used during that entire period.