High-Low & Weight Changes

Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Increase Gross Weight & Temp Increase

​Increase Gross Weight

An increase gross weight (IGW) application changes the gross weight of a currently registered vehicle. This information does not apply to a weight change done at time of renewal.

What you need to know

  • Gross weight may be increased unlimited times during a registration period.
  • If the registered weight is increased to 55,000 pounds or more, proof of HVUT (Heavy Vehicle Use Tax) is required.
  • A permit may be required if the vehicle's registered weight is increased to over 73,280 pounds for use on non-designated highways, and to over 80,000 pounds for use on designated highways.
    For information on Overweight Permits, contact the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MNDOT), at 651-296-6000 or go online at http://www.dot.state.mn.us/cvo/index.html


  1. Verify the current gross weight by checking the vehicle record.  

  2. Determine the additional registration tax due by entering the weight change information in the Change of Gross Weight Calculator on ESupport. Print the data page with the tax calculations and attach it to a completed PS2000 form.
  3.  The applicant and deputy must complete a PS2000 form:

    1.  Section A – complete in full, including the empty weight. If the registered weight is increased to over 73,280 pounds, complete the axle information.  

    2. Section D – indicate the date and exact time of the weight change, the date the change expires, and the current and new weight. Record the additional registration tax and filing fee. 
  4. The applicant must sign the application.
  5. Indicate "IGW" in the upper right corner of the application.
  6.  Validate all copies of the PS2000. The applicant's validated copy serves as a temporary registration/cab card.

  7. Issue a new gross weight sticker for the higher weight.