Commercial Trailer Class (CT)
March 1 through February 28 (29 in leap
years) of the following year.
What you need to know:
- This registration applies to all trailers (including homemade) registered at
a gross vehicle weight of greater than 3,000 pounds, except semi-trailers or
- An equipment dolly is registered in this class.
- This class trailer is required to be titled.
- Determine tax using the Tax Manual based upon vehicle gross weight. (Minimum
gross weight allowed is 1.25 times the vehicle empty weight.) If registration
period is less than 12 months, use increment section located at the back of the
Tax Manual to prorate annual tax.
- New trailers - Calculate tax from date of sale to the end of registration
- New to Fleet/Previously Registered in Foreign State - Calculate tax from the
date the vehicle entered Minnesota to the end of the registration
- Record the empty (unloaded) in Section A of the PS2000
- Issue CT plate and appropriate weight and year validation stickers.
- Provide customer with the validated owner's copy of the PS2000. It is a
temporary cab card until the application is processed by DVS.
- Renewal notices are mailed to the owner of record in late December.
- Issue appropriate year validation sticker and new weight sticker if the
vehicle weight was changed at time of renewal.
- Validate the top portion of the renewal notice. This is the customer's cab
- Sticker Display:
- Trailers registered at 27,000 pounds gross weight or less may begin to
display new registration stickers on January 1.
- Trailers with a gross weight greater than 27,000 pounds gross weight may
begin to display new registration stickers on February 15.
- All vehicles are required to display new registration stickers by 12:01 a.m.
March 2. (There is no 10-day grace period for vehicles in the CT
- There is no penalty for delayed or late registration; however, the vehicle
cannot be operated on the streets or highways with expired registration.
- Low/High Registration - Owners may delay renewing registration when a
vehicle is not in use during the first months of the year. In this situation,
the owner may register the vehicle at minimum weight (1.25 times empty weight)
for the months the vehicle was not in use and register at the operating weight
for the remainder of the year. Example: A renewal submitted on May 15 for a
vehicle that has not been in use: Charge low weight for March through April and
charge high weight for remainder of year.