Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information


Semi-trailer Class (ST)

What you need to know

  • Plate is issued to the semi-trailer for the life of the vehicle, for identification purposes only.
  • The weight of the trailer and its load is included in the registered gross weight of the power unit (truck-tractor).
  • DVS issues a permanent registration card.
  • An equipment dolly does not qualify for ST plates. It must be registered in CT class.

Initial Registration

  1. Owner must complete and sign an Application for Minnesota Title and Registration (PS2000)
  2. Issue ST plate. Do not issue a year validation or weight sticker.
  3. Provide customer with the validated owner's copy of the PS2000. It is a temporary cab card until the application is processed by DVS.