Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Commercial Zone

Registration Period: March 1 through February 28 (29 in leap years) of the following year.
Commercial zone trucks include only trucks, truck-tractors, and semi- trailer combinations, which are operated by an interstate carrier registered under section 221.60, or by an authorized carrier receiving operating authority under chapter 221, and operated solely within a zone exempt from regulation pursuant to United States Code, title 49, section 13506.

What you need to know

  • If the vehicle needs repairs or an overhaul at a place outside of the commercial zone, the owner must obtain a "Change of Situs" permit (see below).
  • ·Customer may contact the MNDOT Office of Freight and Commercial Vehicle Operations at 651-215-6330 for additional information.

Initial Registration

  1. Determine tax using the Tax Manual based upon vehicle gross weight. (Minimum gross weight allowed is 1.25 times the vehicle empty weight.) If registration period is less than 12 months, use increment section located at the back of the Tax Manual to prorate annual tax.
    1. New trucks - Calculate tax from date of sale to the end of registration period.
    2. New to Fleet/Previously Registered in Foreign State - Calculate tax from the date the vehicle entered Minnesota to the end of the registration period.
  2. Record the empty (unloaded) weight in Section A of the PS2000
  3. Record the axle declaration ( 5 or 6 ) if gross weight is 73,280 pounds or more in Section A of the PS2000. In order to get the 6-axle tax rate, a vehicle must always be operated on 6 or more axles. If the vehicle operates at variable axles (5 or 6) then the 5-axle tax applies.
  4. Record USDOT number in Section A of the PS2000 if vehicle is used for commercial purposes
  5. HVUT (Applies to vehicles with GVW of 55,000 pounds or more.) Proof of HVUT is not required upon the transfer of a manufacturer’s certificate of origin or a foreign state title to a Minnesota buyer. Inform the customer that proof of HVUT is required at the time of next renewal. Record if you have viewed proof of payment HVUT if required.
  6. Issue CZ plates and appropriate weight and year validation stickers.
  7. Provide customer with the validated owner's copy of the PS2000. It is a temporary cab card until the application is processed by DVS.
For information about ownership/application requirements and fees refer to Ownership Procedures, Quick Reference Guide: How to Complete PS2000 and Quick Reference Guide: Motor Vehicle Fees.

 Registration Renewal

  • Renewal notices are mailed to the owner of record in late December.
  • Proof of payment of heavy vehicle use tax (HVUT) is required to renew the registration of any truck with a registered gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. See HVUT to determine what is considered acceptable proof of payment.
  • The customer must verify the USDOT number printed on the face of the renewal notice. If the number is incorrect or has changed, the check box on the front of the renewal notice should be checked and the correct information provided on the back of the notice where indicted.
  • Owner must make an axle declaration if the vehicle is registered at 73,281 pounds or more. To qualify for a reduced tax rate, the vehicle must be used at 6 axles or more for the entire registration period.
  • Issue the appropriate year validation sticker and new weight sticker if the vehicle weight was changed at the time of renewal.
  • Validate the top portion of the renewal notice. This is the customer's cab card.
  • Sticker Display:
    • Trucks registered at 27,000 pounds gross weight or less may begin to display new registration stickers on January 1.
    • Trucks with a gross weight greater than 27,000 pounds gross weight may begin to display new registration stickers on February 15.
    • All vehicles are required to display new registration stickers by 12:01 a.m. March 2. (There is no 10-day grace period for vehicles in the CZ class)
  • There is no penalty for delayed or late registration; however, the vehicle cannot be operated on the streets or highways with expired registration.]
  • Low/High Registration - Owners may delay renewing registration when a vehicle is not in use during the first months of the year. In this situation, the owner may register the vehicle at minimum weight (1.25 times empty weight) for the months the vehicle was not in use and register at the operating weight for the remainder of the year. Example: A renewal submitted on May 15 for a vehicle that has not been in use: Charge low weight for March through April and charge high weight for remainder of year.

 Change of Situs

vehicle licensed in the commercial zone class must receive written permission from DVS before removing the vehicle from the commercial zone for the purpose of repair or overhaul. The vehicle may not carry a load while operating outside the zone. Contact Deputy Procedures.