Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information

Vet: Ex-POW


Reference: M.S. 168.125
  • Initial and duplicate plates are issued free of charge
  • Registration tax is not charged

  • Section M of the special plates application must be certified by the Commissioner of Veteran's Affairs

  • Upon death of the Ex-POW, the surviving spouse may continue to display plates. However, registration tax is due from the date of death through the assigned expiration month and on all subsequent renewals. A surviving spouse must pay the duplicate plate fee if the plates are lost or need replacement. If the Ex-POW plates displayed the disabled emblem, the surviving spouse must qualify for disability plates or apply for replacement regular Ex-POW plates.


Quick Reference Guide: