Involuntary Transfer

Driver and Vehicle Services Info Hub

Motor vehicle and drivers license information


Transfer Due to Divorce

If the parties involved in the divorce do not complete the assignment of ownership on the certificate of title, a divorce decree may be used to accomplish the transfer.

What you need to know

  • Conveyance language. The decree must contain conveyance language. Conveyance language is often found towards the end of a decree and will read something like this: "in the event the parties do not transfer deeds, title, etc., a certified copy of this decree will serve as such conveyance."

  • Divorce decree. The applicant must provide either an original or certified copy of the decree. Deputy registrars do not need to copy the entire decree, only the first and final pages and the pages related to the disposition of the vehicle, name change information, and conveyance language. Deputies should indicate on the copy that they viewed the original or certified copy pages.

  • Application. The applicant must complete the title application section on the certificate of title. In situations where the applicant cannot obtain the title from his/her ex-spouse, the applicant must complete an Application to Title and Register a Vehicle (PS2000). An application for duplicate title is not required.

  • Liens: A lien release for any liens recorded on the title must be submitted with the transfer.

  • Fees. Title application and transfer fees are due. The vehicle is exempt from sales tax if the applicant was awarded the vehicle in the divorce decree.